Tracing the history and coping with the reality of 20 lost and three still missing.
The Independent is mapping impacted areas as responders focus on rescue and repair efforts.
“These areas are very vulnerable in the next two years," says UCSB geologist.
Thomas Fire was just part one of the rain season.
Mudslides breached the Highway 192 line and raced all the way through voluntary zones.
Sheriff Brown, EOC Director Lewin give insight into Santa Barbara County's disaster operations.
- Arrests Made in New Year's Day MurderPolice are still looking for Joel Campos, 25.
- Straight Talk on Montecito Evacuation Reaction and the FloodMontecito Fire Protection District's Abe Powell reveals officials' anxiety before storm and fearless response to mudflow.
- Toddler Doing Well After Flood OrdealIn the hospital with his father, who also survived
- Montecito Water District Sued for MudslidesDowntown business owner sues Edison for Thomas Fire.
- The Comic Strippers Return for Naughty MischiefCanadian improv troupe brings its outrageous antics to the Lobero.
- Octopus, Pork Belly & Poached Egg @ Convivo Pairing sea with land at oceanfront restaurant on Milpas Street and Cabrillo Boulevard.
- Joss Jaffe, Maureen Kuo Collab on New VideoThe CalArts graduate hand-drew her animation for “Ganesha.”
- Not AmazonAn economic photo essay
- MegalomaniaThe Poodle mistakenly refers to Former President Jimmy Carter as a megalomaniac from the south.
- The Child in the White HouseThe 6-year-old is boorish, belligerent, bombastic, antagonistic, pugilistic, narcissistic, demagogic, and misogynistic. (I hope I haven't left anything out.)